I just have two things to add to this conversation:
1. You can't say you're a believer in the "free market" and "capitalism" and then support the government bailout, even if it is a crisis. In a "free market" we would just let our economy tank and wait for the crisis to pass. I'm not really advocating for this, just saying you can't have it both ways.
2. I believe that government should help in times of crisis, that's part of it's job (I'm still not sure I'm ok with THIS bailout, but in principle I agree). HOWEVER, this stands for every crisis. We currently have an education crisis, a health care crisis and a climate crisis. These are every bit as serious as an economic crisis, largely because they will eventually lead to economic crisis. Just because they don't appear to be as urgent makes them no less important. If we learn something from this financial disaster I hope it is to act in advance to avoid this kind of calamity in other critical elements of our society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment