
When I lived in Alaska, I learned to pay attention to the weather and the forecast, and never miss an opportunity to get outside in winter when the weather is unusually sunny and/or warm. (In Fairbanks, same goes for summer, in that case, when the weather is not smokey, rainy or there aren't mosquitoes out; In Southeast Alaska repeat the winter formula). Today was one of those days!

View from the Smith Tower! I can't believe I never went up this before!! This is way better (and half the price) than the Space Needle. For the uninitiated, the Smith Tower is the white building at the south end of downtown, with the pyramid shaped top and blue light. It was built in 1914 and has the original elevator...which I learned is one of only three elevators of it's age in the US (the others are in New York and Chicago). It also has the Chinese Room at the top, a beautiful room with all windows and interesting furniture/decor.

I think this is the view of the Space Needle that they attempted to capture in the sub-par movie
Firewall, starring Harrison Ford. The angle isn't quite right, which is probably because it was filmed in Vancouver.

The ceiling in the Chinese Room...the whole ceiling looks like this!



And then continuing the stroll around downtown...




Opportunistic sunglass vendor:


1 comment:
I assume we'll be having dinner soon with your fat check from the Seattle chamber of commerce... nice pictures!
Post a Comment