Saturday, February 9, 2008

Caucusing

This morning Jay got up early and went shooting with some friends while I filed our taxes. In this way, we warmed up to exercise our democratic rights as citizens for the Washington Caucus!

Neither of us had ever caucused before and despite my being a political science major I have never managed to figure out the caucusing part of it. I wouldn't say that I have it fully figured out now but I'm getting there. It was really cool to sit at a table in an elementary school cafeteria with our neighbors and discuss candidates. Our next door neighbors were there and some others we know in our neighborhood and we met some new people too. I kept thinking that this must be what politics was like 200 years ago...that everyone sat around and discussed and tried to convince each other and voted. It's definitely a way to feel like your vote counts! Our precinct had 26 people to caucus, and one out of 26 feels like a real vote. Our precinct voted 15 for Obama, 9 for Clinton, 1 for Edwards and I undecided. It looks like this closely mirrors the breakdown for all of Washington.

You can probably guess that Obama got my vote!

1 comment:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

We caucussed here too! Obama took the Alaskan Democrats 2:1.