For the third year, Jay worked on the La Balagne Landscape Project (learn all the details at: http://www2.winchester.ac.uk/archaeology/balagne.htm AND/OR http://depts.washington.edu/digarlab/balagne/labalagne.html). The project is a collaboration of the University of Washington, the University of Winchester and the University of Corsica. The students who attend the field school work on the project while learning the basics of using GPS, mapping and archaeology survey (above is Jay with Erica, one of the students in 2007, troubleshooting with the GPS). They work from early morning until early afternoon surveying, then take a break for lunch and siesta before a few hours of lab work before dinner. This year during the 4 weeks of the survey they logged over 240 kilometers of hiking, with more than 10,000 meters of elevation gain..and much of it off trail! (this is way Jay is not normally so excited about hiking the rest of the year :-))Jay and Marcos consider their next move...
Weiss of the University of Corsica, and Marcos...
Our friend Sylvain finished his PhD at the University of Corsica last year (congratulations, Sylvain!!) and has been working with Jay for the past three years. He also spent most of last year in Seattle, doing a postdoc at the UW.
Jay and Sylvain verifying that they have arrived at the ruined monastery that appeared on the map. Behind them is an oven...a very large oven!
The team thinks that swimming in the river might be more fun than surveying!
When I'm there, I usually tag along for a couple days of survey. Here are a few more photos I took along the way...



Looking back from the other side of the river toward the ruined monastery seen above...





1 comment:
Hi Jennie
I just ran across this blog, and thought I would say hi. I hope both you and Jay are well, and you had a nice Christmas. Jay's work is pretty fascinating, and the location is rather spectacular as well.
Take care and have a Happy New Year!
Best regards
Frank Breen (Mike's dad)
Post a Comment